Saturday, February 6, 2016

Mark's Reason for Outriding Cancer

Preparing for a transcontinental bicycle ride is a daunting task that I began thinking about several years ago. 2016 is the year when all the stars lined up, with all the moving pieces falling into place. Our 4000 mile coast to coast ride is set to begin April 1st, however I could not just ride across the country without the ride having meaning and purpose for me.

I've had family members who's lives were greatly affected by the toll that cancer takes. My grandmother, and my father succumbed to colon cancer, and June 2014 I lost my wife of 34 years to Ovarian Cancer. She was 61 years old and just starting the best time in life with young grand children, and retirement on her horizon. My wife's passing was devastating on all levels for me and suddenly I found myself having to start my life over to a large extent. Many changes and challenges have taken place in my life since her passing from downsizing into a smaller home, taking over all the family's finances, having to run our small business without a partner, tending to my family's needs, and taking time to care for myself physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Since her death I felt a calling to help find a cure, better treatments, and early detection of cancers.

The Lazarex Cancer Foundation crossed my path with a presentation to my Rotary Club, and a second time when a gentleman rode his bike through town on a 7000 mile mission to raise funds for the Lazarex Cancer Foundation. His wife was battling Pancreatic cancer and he felt a need and a challenge to raise funds for clinical cancer trials for late stage cancer patients. Terry Cunningham (my riding partner) and I agreed this would be an outstanding organization to partner with in raising funds and awareness for cancer.

My ride now has meaning and purpose that I know will have a positive impact on the lives of late stage cancer patients.

Please consider supporting our ride as two Old Spokes begin April 1, 2016 to Out Ride Cancer.

Please Donate

No comments:

Post a Comment